Certificates and all other administrative requests should be ordered on PATCHS

Sickness Certificates

Absence from work of 7 days or less do not need a sick note: a Self-Certificate (SC2) is required (from your employer or complete online the form below.

If your employer asks for a medical certificate, tell them it is not a statutory requirement and your Doctor will not provide one. If they insist, ask them if they will pay the cost of a Private Certificate which we can provide.

For absences of 7 days or more you will need a Medical Certificate (“Fit Note”) from your Doctor. We need to see you for this for the first one as we are making a medical judgment that you are incapable of work or can return subject to certain conditions. We cannot provide it retrospectively if there is no medical evidence.
If you need more extension certificates we may need to see you again but you can send us a PATCHsS and we can let you know.

If you are off work due to Coronavirus, don’t ask the GP for a certificate: you should self-complete an isolation note instead.

If you have been in hospital you should expect a Medical Certificate on discharge to cover your admission and a reasonable recovery period. If you are continuing to be treated as an outpatient, your Hospital Doctor can provide a certificate whilst you are under their care but usually it is the GP.

You can return to work before your Fit Note runs out if you feel up to it.

Counting your Sick Days involves all the days in a row you’ve been sick, including days you do not usually work, such as weekends and bank holidays.

It is not a requirement to provide certificates for absence from school or college or any other place and we can only issue Private Certificates for which we make a charge.

Fit Notes can be two types- “not fit for work” or “may be fit for work taking into account the following advice”. You may be able to go back to work on a phased return, a change in your hours or a a change in your duties or with special conditions, such as no heavy lifting. If your employer cannot make the necessary changes, your fit note becomes “not fit for work”. The details of the fit note will be discussed with your GP. Fit notes are free of charge.

There is useful guidance on the Fit for Work website with Live Chat and telephone advice (Tel 0800 032 6235)

Also more details on Fit Notes from Gov.UK

Advice on Sick Leave from ACAS

Maternity Certificates

These qualify you for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) from your employer or the state Maternity Allowance and are obtained from your Midwife (or Doctor if they do not give it) any time from the 20th week of your pregnancy. There is an online application process also if your Midwife or GP has registered for this (but it is new and not easy to get set up!).

The certificate also entitles you to free dental treatment and free prescriptions and it lasts until your baby is 12 months old.

More details about Maternity Certificates here .

Please ask when you attend an antenatal appointment with your Midwife or fill in a request form at reception.

Firearms Certificates

The doctors at this surgery hold conscientious objections to engagement in the firearms certification process and therefore will not be involved. Where the use of firearms is a necessary professional requirement we would assist applicants in finding a registered doctor to help. In other cases the applicant will need to find such a doctor themselves.